I was recently in Grand Rapids, while a Vegan Pop Up Baked Goods sale was going on. Stopping in I picked up some tasty donuts and also these awesome scones. Jon Dunn and Kolene Allen kindly shared their recipe with me.
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (So Delicious unsweetened original recommended)
2½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp sage
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 tsp baking powder
½ cup refined coconut oil
2 tbsp non-dairy butter, cold
1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese (Daiya and Follow Your Heart brands recommended)
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves (chop pretty finely)
1. Heat oven to 425°. Lightly grease a baking sheet (or cover it with parchment paper).
2. In a small bowl, combine soy milk and vinegar. Set aside for about 10 minutes, or until curdled.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, basil, sage, oregano, salt, pepper and baking powder.
4. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry cutter, fork or even your hands until the dough is slightly crumbly. Don't mix the shortening/butter all the way in -- you want some small pieces (think corn- or pea-sized) to remain.
5. Add in spinach and stir to combine.
6. Add the soy milk mixture and cheese and mix together just until no dry ingredients remain, being careful not to over mix.
7. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough until it is about ½ to ¾ inches high. Cut the dough into triangles, or your choice of shape, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 14-16 minutes, or until the scones are lightly golden on top.